Help your family select foods with less sugar. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends:
Tips to Reduce Sources of Added Sugars
- Sweeten low-fat plain yogurt with fresh, frozen or canned (in its own juice) fruit in place of fruit-flavored yogurt.
- Add cinnamon and dried fruit to plain cooked oats instead of using instant flavored oatmeal.
- Encourage healthier drinks like plain milk and water for young children.
- Substitute 100% fruit juice for fruit punch and other fruit-flavored drinks for older children.
- Switch from sweetened to unsweetened applesauce.
- Drink plain low-fat milk instead of chocolate milk.
- Use jams and jellies with no sugar added.
- Enjoy a homemade smoothie with frozen fruit, low-fat milk and yogurt in place of ice cream.
- Quench your thirst with water or plain lowfat milk instead of sweetened beverages, like energy, soft and sports drinks.
©2019Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Sources: Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, health.gov and USDA’s ChooseMyPlate.gov