In the teeth whitening procedure the teeth is cleaned and lightened using laser light treatment and it also removes stains and discoloration, improving the overall beauty of the smile in a cosmetic way. Teeth whitening or teeth bleaching is among the most popular and affordable cosmetic dental procedures because it can greatly improve how your teeth look. Most dentists perform this affordable, laser light treatment to make the teeth white for sparkling smile enhancement.
What Factors Affect the Color of My Teeth?
Some people are born with teeth that are more yellow than others. Others have teeth that yellow with age. Your natural teeth color can also be affected by many factors. Surface stains (called extrinsic stains by dentists) and discoloration can be caused by:
- Tobacco (whether smoked or chewed)
- Drinking coffee, tea, or red wine
- Eating highly pigmented foods such as cherries and blueberries
- Accumulation of tartar deposits, which result from plaque that has hardened
Internal stains (called intrinsic stains by dentists) can be caused by:
- Treatment with the antibiotic tetracycline during the time when teeth are forming
- Yellowing or graying of the teeth as part of the aging process
- Trauma to the teeth that may result in the death of the teeth's nerve, giving the tooth a brown, gray or black color
- Ingesting too much fluoride when teeth are forming (from birth to age of 16), which gives teeth a "mottled" look.